18 December 2021

Carla's 12 feel-good postcards of 2021

At first, I wanted to compile a list of actors who had or have jobs other than acting. These jobs could be prior to, during, or after their acting career. But then I bought a card with Linda Blair in The Exorcist, and I thought wow, she must have had professional help. I thought a list with child actors and what had become of them might be interesting too. I immediately sought in my collection whether I had cards of other child actors. Both lists stranded. They have to wait. Paul then suggested I’d make a list with 12 cards that I bought this year which made me feel good. Easy: all the cards I buy, make me feel good. Thus, I began the difficult task of selecting 12 cards I bought this past year. I start with:

Linda Blair in The Exorcist


Linda Blair in The Exorcist (1973)
Vintage postcard, no. 2171. Caption: Exorcist green. Linda Blair in The Exorcist (William Friedkin, 1973).

This is not a card that makes me feel good, but it is one that made an impression. I thought this must not have been easy for Linda Blair. I read an article about child actors in horror movies and immediately thought this would make a list. Not only children in horror movies but child actors in general: what has become of them. As said, this list has been put on hold.

Beerbohm The Theatre Cat


Beerbohm the Theatre Cat
British postcard by Mayfair Cards of London, no. FB 28. Illustration: Frances Broomfield. Caption: Beerbohm was an habitué of London's Theatreland, equally at home at The Globe or Her Majesty's. Although very much a backstage cat, his occasional on-stage appearances won him much applause.

English theatres often had a theatre cat. They were useful in helping to keep the theatre free of mice, but they became also useful in helping actors to overcome stage fright. Often the cats felt so much at home that they walked on stage during a play or performance. One of the most famous theatre cats was called Beerbohm, named after the British actor Sir Herbert Beerbohm Tree. Beerbohm is the spitting image of our cat. Yes, a feel-good card.

Joan Crawford


Joan Crawford
German postcard by pwe Verlag, München (Munich). From the Prestel book 'Fashion in Film'. Caption: Cliquot the poodle, Joan Crawford, Gertrude Wheeler during a break in shooting The Damned Don't Cry, 1950. Directed by Vincent Sherman. Costumes by Sheila O'Brian.

I like pictures that seem to have been taken as if people did not notice they were being photographed. I think Joan Crawford knows full well that her picture is taken, but it is nevertheless a picture that made me smile: hair stylist Gertrude Wheeler does Joan’s hair, while Joan is brushing Cliquot, her pet poodle.

Johnny Hallyday and Sylvie Vartan


Johnny Hallyday and Sylvie Vartan
French postcard, no. LRCP 030.

Johnny Hallyday and Sylvie Vartan were called “the golden couple”. I doubt whether that is true; they had a rather troublesome relationship and divorced after 15 years of marriage. However, they remained friends until Johnny’s death in 2017. In this picture they seem happy, the Hallydays on holiday in the seventies, I guess.

Tommy Cooper


Tommy Cooper
British postcard by Boomerang Media Cards in the Best of British Quirky Traits series, no. 6, Humour. Photo: Jon Lyons.

Back in the seventies we always watched Tommy Cooper. I don’t remember whether we stayed at home to watch Tommy on tv, but I do remember we watched him with the whole family. We regularly got the giggles. Nostalgia.

Faye Dunaway


Faye Dunaway in Chinatown (1974)
British postcard by Star-Graphics, London, no. S 118. Faye Dunaway in Chinatown (Roman Polanski, 1974).

Faye Dunaway in Chinatown (1974). I did not possess a card of Faye Dunaway yet. Now I do. That feels good.

Laura La Plante


Laura La Plante in The Midnight Sun (1926)
Austrian postcard by Iris Verlag, no. 916. Photo: Universal Pictures Corporation. Laura La Plante in The Midnight Sun (Dimitri Buchowetzki, 1926).

I bought this card because I find it a curious image. It is Laura La Plante in The Midnight Sun (1926). She plays a prima ballerina in this movie and I guess she is in a ballet performance on this card. Again, a wonderful addition to the collection.

Rudolph Valentino


Rudolph Valentino and Lila Lee in Blood and Sand (1922)
German postcard by Ross Verlag, no. 1767/3, 1927-1928. Photo: Paramount Pictures. Rudolph Valentino and Helena D’Algy in A Sainted Devil (Joseph Henabery, 1924).

I bought this card because Rudolph Valentino is in it. I had to look up which film this is: A Sainted Devil (1924). His dance partner is Helena D’Algy. Again, a feel-good card. I have a few cards of Rudolph Valentino in my collection, but this one is my favourite.

Jayne Mansfield


Jayne Mansfield
Italian postcard, no. 584.

I like old vintage cards with pin-ups. Especially ‘kitschy’ pin-ups. I think Jayne Mansfield is one of those kitschy pin-ups. This is my latest purchase of her. I am wondering, does she suck in her stomach?

Mamie van Doren


Mamie van Doren
Belgian postcard.

Another pin-up card I am very happy with, Mamie Van Doren. I have a few cards of Mamie Van Doren. They are all wonderful cards, but every last card I buy is the most beautiful. A few weeks ago, I bought this card. It is my most wonderful card of Mamie…. Until I find another one.

Johnny Weissmuller


Johnny Weissmuller
Dutch postcard by Archief Film en Toneel, no. 3458. Photo: RKO Radio Films.

My first Tarzan card! This card of Johnny Weissmuller was also destined to be a card for the list of actors who had other jobs. Johnny Weissmuller was a swimmer, and he was Tarzan The Apeman. It is also the first and only card of Johnny Weissmuller in my collection.

Marilyn Monroe


Marilyn Monroe in Bus Stop (1956)
Yugoslavian postcard by Epoha, Zagreb, no. 4. Marilyn Monroe in Bus Stop (Joshua Logan, 1956).

And of course Marilyn Monroe. This card was a present from my English friend. She is one of the biggest fans of Marilyn I know. A card like this makes my day. I must write this friend and send her this list.

All cards I buy (or receive as a present) make me happy. They make me happy because of different reasons. I selected twelve cards from the ones I bought last year. Not an easy task, but easier than compiling a list with child actors, because I could not find the cards I wanted. And easier than a list of actors with other jobs because most of them were active in sports or bodybuilding. (One actor even became president…) Moreover, I don’t know whether singing and dancing fall under the same ‘skill’ as acting. Of course, they are not the same, but there are many actors who practice all…. Musical stars, opera singers. In what category does Gene Kelly e.g. fit. Difficult. So those lists are on hold. Temporarily, I hope.

Text and postcards: Carla Bosch. Postcard collector and friend Carla Bosch regularly contributes guest posts to EFSP. Check out e.g. her post of last year, Let the sun shine in.

No comments: